Tuesday 1 May 2012

Aesthetics vs the machine?

I'm going to assume that this topic means beauty vs functionality. Now, I think that this whole topic usually revolves around the type of person you're discussing. Some people might go for beauty over functionality (ie: Lady Gaga of Taylors. you know who I'm talking about) and some might go for functionality over beauty. (ie: me and my piece of crap Kancil, which I will love til the end of the world.) I guess it all boils down to what you're looking for, your priorities and the amount of money you can spend on it.

This is an age-old topic. I'm sure people discuss it all the time. But like everything else in life, we just need to find a good balance. Something that is both functional and yet aesthetically pleasing. One example I can think of would be electronic devices made by Apple. They don't just function extraordinarily (though once you've used it everyday, it no longer remains extraordinary but becomes just plain ordinary, thus setting our functionality standards higher and higher.) but they are also extraordinarily well designed. Nowadays, who wouldn't want to be caught seen strutting around campus with a Macbook tucked under their arm? Once, something has been created with extraordinary functionality and beauty, and yet still made inexpensive (unlike stuff made by Bang & Olufsen. I mean, who are they trying to kid, really?), they tend to turn into a status item. It's kind of like the laptop equivalent of a man's car. Men like to think their cars determine their social status, just like kids of Generation Y like to think their electronics determine their social status.

Steve Jobs derping around with a Macbook.

I use a RM 99 CSL phone with no camera, no bluetooth and minimal internet access. And I borrowed it from my 15 year old sister who now uses an iPhone. The Macbook I use is lent by my older sister who is apparently getting a newer and better version of the Macbook Pro. And the camera I use now belongs to my dad. Technically, I don't own a single electronic device. Not to mention, I have a beat-up green kancil that looks like shit. But for years, it's (almost) never failed me. It's not really fast but it gets me from point A to B. Her name is Jules and she is Jewish. And she is green. And she's awesome.

And yet, my social activities are above par. In your face, society!

No comments:

Post a Comment